Wednesday, June 3, 2020

two sorts of loneliness


Image result for etty hillesum



I know of two sorts of loneliness.  One makes me feel dreadfully unhappy, lost and forlorn, the other makes me feel strong and happy.  The first always appears when I feel our of touch with my fellow men, with everything, when I am completely cut off from others and from myself and can see no purpose in life or any connection between things, nor have the slightest idea where I fit in.  

Withe the other kind of loneliness, by contrast, I feel very strong and certain and connected with everyone and everything and with God, and realize that I can manage on my own and that I am not dependent upon others.  Then I know that I am part of a meaningful whole and that I can impart a great deal of strength to others.



~ Etty Hillesum
from Etty Hillesum - Essential Writings 

0 comments: