Wednesday, June 17, 2020

we conceal ourselves








Like cuttlefish we conceal ourselves, 
we darken the atmosphere in which we move; 
we are not transparent. I pine for one to whom
 I can speak my first thoughts; thoughts which
 represent me truly, which are no better and no worse than I; 
thoughts which have the bloom on them, which alone 
can be sacred and divine. Our sin and shame 
prevent our expressing even the innocent thoughts 
we have. I know of no one to whom I can
 be transparent instinctively. I live the life of the cuttlefish; 
another appears, and the element in which I move is tinged 
and I am concealed. My first thoughts are azure; 
there is a bloom and a dew on them; they are papillaceous feelers
 which I put out, tender, innocent.
 Only to a friend can I expose them.



~ Henry David Thoreau



.

1 comments:

Mystic Meandering said...

Ooooo - so true... resonating ~~~~~~~~~~~~