Friday, February 11, 2022

a speech at the lost and found

 
 
 

 
 
 
I lost a few goddesses on my way from south to north,
as well as many gods on my way from east to west,
Some stars went out on me for good: part for me, O sky. 
Island after island collapsed into the sea on me.
I'm not sure exactly where I left my claws,
who wears my fur, who dwells in my shell. 
My siblings died our when I crawled onto land
and only a tiny bone in me marks the anniversary. 
I leapt out of my skin, squandered vertebrae and legs,
and left my senses many many times.
Long ago I closed my third eye to it all,
waved it off with my fins, shrugged my branches.
 
Scattered by the four winds to a place that time forgot,
how little there remains of me surprises me a lot,
 a singular being of human kind for now,
who lost her umbrella in a tram somehow.
 
 
 
 
 
~ Wislawa Szymborska
from miracle fair 
 
 
 

0 comments: