Friday, March 5, 2010

I. The Search for the Bull



.
.

.

 .
I.                    The Search for the Bull

In the pastures of this world, I endlessly push aside the tall grasses in search of the bull.

Following unnamed rivers, lost upon the interpenetrating paths of distant mountains,

My strength failing and my vitality exhausted, I cannot find the bull.

I only hear the locusts chirring through the forest at night.
 
 
 
 

Comment: 
 
 The bull never has been lost.  What need is there to search?  
Only because of separation from my true nature, I fail to find him. 
 In the confusion of the senses I lose even his tracks. 
 Far from home, I see many crossroads,
 but which way is the right one I know not. 
 Greed and fear, good and bad, entangle me.
.

 ~ Kakuan
from 10 BULLS
Transcribed by. Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps 
 Illustrated by Tomikichiro Tokuriki
 

0 comments: