Sunday, July 17, 2022

resting in gratitude

 
 
 

 
 
You have made me so rich, oh God, please let me share out Your beauty with open hands.
 My life has become an uninterrupted dialogue with You, oh God, one great dialogue.
 Sometimes when I stand in some corner of the camp, my feet planted on Your earth,
 my eyes raised toward Your heaven, tears sometimes run down my face,
 tears of deep emotion and gratitude. At night, too, when I lie in my bed and rest in You,
 oh God, tears of gratitude run down my face, and that is my prayer.
 
 I have been terribly tired for several days, but that too will pass. 
Things come and go in a deeper rhythm, and people must be taught to listen;
 it is the most important thing we have to learn in this life.
 
 I am not challenging You, oh God, my life is one great dialogue with You.
 I may never become the great artist I would really like to be, 
but I am already secure in You, God. Sometimes I try my hand
 at turning out small profundities and uncertain short stories, 
but I always end up with just one single word: God. 
And that says everything, and there is no need for anything more. 
And all my creative powers are translated into inner dialogues with You. 
The beat of my heart has grown deeper, more active, and yet more peaceful, 
and it is as if I were all the time storing up inner riches.
 
 
 
 
~ Etty Hillesum
from An Interrupted Life: The Diaries
translated by Arnold J. Pomerans
 
 
 

0 comments: