Friday, April 22, 2022

in abundance

 
 
 

 
 
I am who I am.
A coincidence as inscrutable
as any other.
 
Other ancestors
might have been mine, after all,
then from some other nest
I would have flown,
from some other stump
I would have crawled in my shell.
 
In nature's wardrobe
there are many costumes-
spider, seagull, field mouse.
Each fits like a glove from the get-go
and is loyally worn
until it wears out.
 
I, too, had no choice,
but I can't complain.
I could have been someone 
much less singular.
Someone from a school of fish,
from an anthill, from a buzzing swarm,
 a piece of landscape thrashed by the wind.
 
Someone much less lucky,
bred for fur
or for a holiday meal,
something swimming under a cover glass.
 
A tree stuck in the earth,
with a fire approaching.
 
A blade of grass trampled by a run 
of incomprehensible events.
 
One born under a dark cloud
whose lining gleams for others.
 
But what if I had awakened fear in people,
or merely revulsion,
or merely pity?
 
 If I hadn't been born 
into the right tribe and
paths closed before me?
 
Fate has proved
benevolent so far.
 
The memory of good moments
 might not have been granted me.
 
A penchant for comparisons
might have been withheld from me.
 
I might have been myself-though without the wonder,
but that would have meant
being someone else.
 
 
 
 
 
~ Wislawa Szymborska
from miracle fair
 Nasa photo

 
 

0 comments: