Tuesday, November 10, 2020

to lessen hostility and extreme reactivity

 
 
 

 

Today, November 6, 2020, the United States, my home, 
is a nation divided against itself, with all sides striving to win.
 This is the karma of white supremacy and colonization
 manifesting in the midst of a global pandemic and climate crisis.
 I live in California, a state that is, literally, on fire.

The Buddha said this:

Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set
winning & losing
aside.

“Winning gives birth to hostility.”
 Another translator more colloquially put it this way:
 “The winner sows hatred because the loser suffers.”

I believe in strategic political action and liberatory movement-building. 
I have cast my vote. And these are my Bodhisattva vows as I move with you
 into the coming months and years:
 What actions can I take to lessen hostility and extreme reactivity,
 and to encourage civil discourse and respectful democratic process?

May we all complete the great journe
y of awakening together.
 
 
~  Mushim Patricia Ikeda, 
East Bay Meditation Center
 
 
 
 

0 comments: