Monday, November 14, 2011

the voices







.

It's OK for the rich and the lucky to keep still,
no one wants to know about them anyway,
But those in need have to step forward,
have to say: I am blind,
or: I'm about to go blind,
or: nothing is going well with me,
or: I have a child who is sick,
or: right there I'm sort of glued together...

And probably that doesn't do anything either.

They have to sing; if they didn't sing, everyone
would walk past, as if they were fences or trees.

That's where you can hear good singing.

People really are strange: they prefer
to hear castratos in boychoirs.

But God himself comes and stays a long time
when the world of half-people start to bore him.





~ Rainer Maria Rilke
translation by Robert Bly
art by van gogh





1 comments:

erin said...

i am astounded again and again and again by him

as though he beats upon me with something common (and yet holy, magical, sustaining) like a loaf of bread.

xo
erin