Friday, December 18, 2020

leap in the dark





.
There is always some accident in the best things,
whether thoughts or expressions or deeds.  
The memorable thought, the happy expression, 
the admirable deed are only partly ours. 
 
The thought came to us because we were in a fit mood;
 also we were unconscious and did not know that we had said or done a good thing.
 
 We must walk consciously only partway toward our goal,
 and then leap in the dark to our success.




~ Henry David Thoreau
from his journal, March 11, 1858
photo by Robert Goulet





3 comments:

Mystic Meandering said...

Dean - I surely appreciate all of your posts today. They all speak to me in different ways. Thank you for your offerings here... _/\_

Dean Keller said...


Hi Christine, the speak to me as well, as I watch my own thought words disassemble into a pile of letters that blow away with the slightest breeze. Pointing to the vast beauty behind, beyond, like that enlivening glint in someone's eye.

warm wishes for peace and ease

Mystic Meandering said...

Thank you for your kind words... Am sure my unease will resolve itself. For now just breathing into the root of it :)