Tuesday, April 5, 2011

ambition

.




.
Three men met at a tavern table.  One was a weaver, another a carpenter and the third a ploughman. 
.
Said the weaver, " I sold a fine linen shroud today for two pieces of gold.  Let us have all the wine we want."
.
"And I," said the carpenter, "I sold my best coffin.  We will have a great roast with the wine."
.
"I only dug a grave," said the ploughman, "but my patron paid me double.   Let us have honey cakes too."
.
And all that evening the tavern was busy,  for they called often for wine and meat and cakes.  And they were merry.
.
And the host rubbed his hands and smiled at his wife; for his guests were spending freely.
.
When they left the moon was high, and they walked along the road singing and shouting together.
.
The host and his wife stood in the tavern door and looked after them.
.
"Ah!" said the wife, "these gentlemen!  So freehanded and so gay!  If only they could bring us such luck every day!  Then our son need not be a tavern-keeper and work so hard.  We could educate him, and he could become a priest."

.
~ Kahlil Gibran
from Poems, Parables, and Drawings

.

0 comments: