Sunday, March 27, 2011

the great longing









Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea.

We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together
 is deep and strong and strange.  Nay, it is deeper than my sister's depth
 and stronger than my brother's strength,
 and stranger than the strangeness of my madness.

Aeons upon aeons have passed since the first grey dawn made us
 visible to one another; and though we have seen the birth and the fullness
 and the death of many world, we are still eager and young.

We are  young and eager and yet we are mateless and unvisited, 
and though we lie in unbroken half embrace, we are uncomforted. 
 And what comfort is there for controlled desire and unspent passion?  
Whence shall come the flaming god to warm my sister's bed?  
And what she-torrent shall quench my brother's fire? 
And who is the woman that shall command my heart?

In the stillness of the night my sister murmurs in her sleep
 the fire-god's unknown name, and my brother call 
afar upon the cool and distant goddess. 
 But upon whom I call in my sleep I know not


Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. 
 We three are one in loneliness, and the love 
that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.






~ Kahlil Gibran
from Poems, Parables and Drawings
drawing by the author



0 comments: