Wednesday, May 18, 2011

day and night





The sun rises and sets,
 it is day and night,
 it will go on thus for a long time.  

You get to think you are part of it and 
your circumstances are related to the cosmos, 
but one day your little system will break down 
and the day and night will rotate indifferently.  
Can this be?  

It seems more like the sunrise and sunset, 
the moon and stars, 
this new season, 
they are part of me. 

 I am sure they will never be the same without me,
for no one could see them just as I do.


.
~ Harlan Hubbard
journal entry March 9, 1963
woodcut by the author


2 comments:

Katherine said...

I am always so happy when I see Harlan Hubbard's art and verse here. I am looking at a bluebird in the yard. I am remembering our first conversations about Payne Hollow. I am grateful for your soft spoken presence.

Dean Keller said...

thanks Katherine, Harlan's spirit still sings to me. The words and art he left seem simple, sometimes clumsy, always authentic and clear enough to hear a bit of his souls music in your heart.

so good to hear from you again!