Sunday, December 4, 2011

how to live without violence





i will not straighten the books or clean the fridge.
i will not mention what you have forgotten, nor will i think it.
i will not pick crumbs from your shirt.

your hair is messy. i shall kiss it.

i shall write this poem about your messy hair:

your messy hair
tells me
your essence is busy being

i will become so infected with this poem, with your essence of being, that i will forget to brush my hair.
we will keep birds in our hair, nests without cages, 

and all day long we will fly and sing.






~ erin





3 comments:

erin said...

are you kidding me?

shyness and then love!

(do you know Waking This Morning by Muriel Rukeyser? it has left a great impression on me.)

Waking this morning,
a violent woman in the violent day
Laughing.
Past the line of memory
along the long body of your life
in which move childhood, youth, your lifetime of touch,
eyes, lips, chest, belly, sex, legs, to the waves of the sheet.
I look past the little plant
on the city windowsill
to the tall flowers bookshaped, crushed together in greed,
the river flashing flowing corroded,
the intricate harbor and the sea, the wars, the moon, the planets,
all who people space
in the sun visible invisible.
African violets in the light
breathing, in a breathing universe. I want strong peace, and delight,
the wild good.
I want to make my touch poems:
to find my morning, to find you entire
alive moving among the anti-touch people.

I say across the waves of the air to you:
today once more
I will try to be non-violent
one more day
this morning, waking the world away
in the violent day.

pacifixe said...

wonderful.

smilingheart said...

thanks for sharing the Muriel Rukeyser poem, hadn't seen it.

yours is a delight!
beautiful!

to see the choice in the thousand small judgments we pronounce on ourselves and others. where violence may truly end, borders dissolve, delight springs forth.


thank you