Monday, August 23, 2010

the art


.
.
When I paint a landscape,
I try to paint heaven,
and my joy at being there.
.
There is no artist,
living or dead,
whose work would satisfy me
as an expression of my life.
.
Nothing was ever painted 
that I would like to have done.
.
No one ever expressed me.
.
My painting could not have been done by anyone else,
nor in the past.
It is growing more and more unique and personal.
.
The beauty of the snow, 
the pleasure of seeing it
and being out in it.
To express that is the end of art.
.
I would like my paintings to be as real as the rain and stones,
yet transcend reality into sublimity.
.
My pictures follow their own course.
I draw the geographic form, but as the painting goes on,
there springs up a design which is unpredictable,
unconscious, and as perfect as my sense of harmony makes it.
.
~ Harlan Hubbard
from his journals, taken here from
"Harlan Hubbard and the River - A Visionary Life"
by Don Wallis
art: "Crossing the River"
 by Harland Hubbard
.


0 comments: