Tuesday, October 20, 2009

sublime generosity

.
I was dead, then alive.
Weeping, then laughing.
.
The power of love came into me,
and I became fierce like a lion,
then tender like the evening star.
.
He said, "You're not mad enough.
You don't belong in this house."
.
I went wild and had to be tied up.
He said, "Still not wild enough
to stay with us!"
.
I broke though another layer
into joyfulness.
.
He said, "It's not enough."
I died.
.
He said, "You're a clever little man,
full of fantasy and doubting."
.
I plucked out my feathers and became a fool.
He said, "Now you're the candle
for this assembly."
.
But I'm no candle. Look!
I'm scattered smoke.
.
He said, "You are the sheikh, the guide."
But I'm not a teacher. I have not power.
.
He said, "You already have wings.
I cannot give you wings."
.
But I wanted his wings.
I felt like some flightless chicken.
.
Then nw events said to me,
"Don't move. A sublime generosity is
coming toward you."
.
And old love said, "Stay with me."
.
I said, "I will."
.
You are the fountain of the sun's light.
I am a willow shadow on the ground.
You make my raggedness silky.
.
The soul at dawn is like darkened water
that slowly begins to say Thank you, thank you.
.
Then at sunset, again, Venus gradually
changes into the moon and then the whole nightsky.
.
This comes of smiling back
at your smile.
.
The chess master says nothing,
other than moving the silent chess piece.
.
That I am part of the ploys
of this game makes me
amazingly happy.
.
~ Rumi
.

0 comments: